This article elaborates the concept of green library, list outs features, and necessarily discusses the elements of green library. ‘Green’ or ‘Sustainable Libraries’ are the structure that is designed, built, renovated, operated, or reused in an ecological and resource efficient manner. It’s a collective effort of all mankind to make green planet by reducing global warming, Element of Green Library is Site selection, Constructional material, Energy conservation, Indoor air quality, Water conservation etc. Librarians have always been a key contributor to community learning efforts and it is also appropriate that they take a leadership role in sustainability movement. The green library or sustainable is a modern library where minimize electricity consumption and maximum use of renewable sources like air, sunlight, woods. Now days it is much more needed for a library to greening the library environment.
Cite this article:
Rajesh S. Lokhande. Green Library: Sustainable Development. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences. 2022; 10(3):107-0.
Rajesh S. Lokhande. Green Library: Sustainable Development. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences. 2022; 10(3):107-0. Available on: https://ijrrssonline.in/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-10-3-4
1. Alpi, K.M. (2000), “It’s not easy being green: a survey of staff experiences with environmental issues in sci-tech and other libraries”, Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship, No. 26. (Available online: http://www.istl.org/00-spring/article1.html; accessed 5 June 2012)
2. ODLIS: Online Dictionary of Library and Information Science UC Santa Barbara Library https://www.library.ucsb.edu/research/db/1182
3. California Integrated Waste Management Board. (2008, January 15). Green Building Basics. Retrieved 10/22/2008 from http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/GreenBuilding/Basics.htm
4. Shukla, P. (2014, January 14). Green Building Materials. Retrieved from
6. Meher, P. & Parabhoi, L. (2017). Green Library: An Overview, Issues with Special Reference to Indian Libraries. International Journal of Digital Library Services (IJODLS). 63 Vol. 7, Issue 2, April - June, 2017, ISSN: 2250-1142 (Online), ISSN 2349-302X (Print). Geetanjali Research Publication. Pp. 62-63. Available from: http://www.ijodls.in/uploads/3/6/0/3/3603729/7ijodls217.pdf
7. Ameresco, Inc. (2008, September 29). Ameresco, Inc. joins hundreds of colleges and universities in fight against global warming [Press release]. The Earth Times. Retrieved 10/24/2008 from http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ameresco-inc-joins-hundredsof,559193.shtml